Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hair Caramelization

Carmelization is a process, supposedly invented by a stylist in Philadephia, with uses all natural products to condition / loosen your natural curl pattern. Some like it to a natural rexaler, some to a deep conditioner.

I tried this last night. My hair has never ever ever felt softer! I could tell the difference not only just when it was wet, but also when I blow dried and flatironed it.

I have been debating whether or not to go completely natural. It is neck length right now. It is mostly relaxed. My last relaxer was in May. I do not want to BC, or big chop. It's just never going to happen. So far I do know I will be doing this on a regular basis, especially after taking out braids or a weave.

My recipe

4 tbsp Wheat Germ Oil
4 tbsp African Palm Oil
3 tbsp+ Molasses
2 tbsp+ Raw Honey
3 tbsp Shea Butter
2 tbs Water
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 small box Cornstarch
3 super duper ripe Bananas
2 tbsp Honey
a couple drops of Peppermint Oil
~ 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Wash out with water first. I then shampooed with non-sulfate shampoo. I think between the shampoo and conditioner, I rinsed with a mixture of baking soda and water. I then conditioned and rinsed out the conditioner.

I got the hard-to-find ingredients at Whole Foods. I started with this basic recipe, blended it inthe blender and improvised from there. I read online that you want to use more molasses and honey on more tightly coiled curls / kinks to "stretch" your hair more. It wasn't quite thick / sticky enough for me as if, so i just poured straight from the molasses bottle until it was there was only about 1/3 left in the bottle, and a lot more raw honey. It became about the consistency of a creamy soup. It was a little akward putting it in. I originally tried to put it in with those thin relaxer application brushes, but it wasn't work. So I ended up using a small tuperware container to scoop it out and pour over my head as a leaned over the sink. Once hair was saturated, I covered my hair with 3 shower caps and let it sit for two hours. I ended up only using about half the mix, so I might

I then rinsed it out in the shower. I then shampooed with David Babaii for Wildaid Hydrating Shampoo, and conditioned with David Babaii for Wildaid Hydrating Conditioner. His line is completely sulfate and paraben free. I think that a portion of the profits go to wildlife or enviromental conservation. I'm really happy about the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment