Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Favorites: Perfumes






Even though they can be incredibly expensive, I don't ever feel like I've finished getting ready without it. While you can express yourself through your clothes, I think the primary way I do so is through the scent I'm wearing.

I don't like to wear the same scent too often, because I don't want to get tired of it. I use different ones in colder weather and in the summertime, during the day and at night. I pick a scent that reflect how I feel in the morning. Eau de toilettes (EDT) and eau de parfums (EDP) of the same scent can smell really different.

Here are some of my current favorites, along with the first three words to come to mind when I spray it on paper testers:


My Current Favorites




  • Benefit My Place or Yours Gina EDT
    (nighttime scent)
    Fruity, Sexy, Alluring



  • Shiseido Zen
    (daytime scent)
    Fresh, Corporate, Citrus-y



  • Burberry London EDP
    (daytime, colder weather)
    Sophiscated, Boardroom, Classic



  • Johan B EDP
    Attention-Getting, Deep, Sweet




  • Juicy Couture EDP
    (colder weather)
    Alluring, Classic, Nutty



  • Bvlgari Petits and Mamans EDT
    (daytime)
    Clean, Innocent, Powdery Fresh
    Petits and Mamans means Little ones and Moms in French. Obviously this is marketed to them, but it's nice because it doesn't have any alcohol in it, if you're sensitive to that



  • Intimately Beckham for Women EDT
    Clean, Innocent, Light



  • Ralph Lauren Romance Always Yours EDP
    Light, Refreshing, Classic



  • DKNY Delicious Night
    (nighttime - surprise surprise :)
    Spicy, Flirty, Aromatherapy



  • Christian Dior J'Adore EDP
    (nighttime)
    Sensual, Alluring, Sexy
    My nighttime classic. I was introduced to this by my college roommate, and have never looked back. I'm slowly getting tired of this, but I love the compliments I get when I wear it.



  • Bvlgari Rose Essential EDP
    (daytime)
    Floral, Innocent, Intriguing



  • Harajuku Lovers Baby EDT
    (daytime)
    Innocent, Fresh, Clean
    The bottle is too cute! Great gift for a preteen / teenager. The price for the small ones have been reduced nationally to $15.



  • Lolita Lempicka Fleur de Corail
    Tropical, Beachy, Summery



  • Anna Sui Secret Wish Magic Romance
    (daytime)
    Sweet, Light, Floral



  • DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom
    Fruity, Floral, Citrus-y



  • Bobbi Brown No. IV EDT (Also called Bath)
    Clean, Shower Fresh, Light



  • Tocca Bridgette EDP



  • Narciso Rodriguez EDP
    Attention-getting, Deep, Sexy



Old Favorites, not so much anymore:





  • Clinique Happy Perfume Spray
    Fruity, Fresh, Energetic
    The first real perfume I ever bought. I used to get a lot of compliments when I wore it. I really used to love this, but for some reason I don't really like it anymore.



  • Hugo Boss Woman
    I found this in my Mom's beauty cabinet and took it with me when I went to college. It was my first perfume and what started my love of perfumes. I don't wear it anymore, but when I heard it was being discontinued I went any bought a bottle of it. I'm scared to open though, because when the scent deterioates with its shelf life.


New ones I want to try





  • Michael Kors Very Hollwood
  • Queen by Queen Latifah


It's weird, a lot of times I'll want a perfume because of the paper sample mailers that come in the mail and in magazines, but when I sniff the actual perfume at the store it smells very different and I don't like it anymore. And sometimes vis versa, I think I won't like a scent from the mailer and end up loving it at the store. It might be because of a reaction with the glue. I wonder how many scents I'm missed out on because I hated the mailer. I find that the ones that that include a fragrance soaked cottom pad sealed in plastic, so it's still wet when you open it give a more authentic idea of what the fragrance smell likes.








One word of advice, you might want to think twice before buying the big bottle of perfume. It can be tempting to buy the bigger bottle, especially since sometimes it is only around $10 - 15 dollars for twice the amount. However, keep in mind that the scent deterioates with its shelf life. Plus, you might get tired of it. Therefore, unless it is something I wear all the time, I always get the smallest size, to give it a trial run. Kinda like buying the family size of cereal when you live by yourself.



Another thing to keep in mind, the perfume will smell very different on you than on the tester paper. It will also smell very different on you than on other people. I learned this through experience. I asked one of my classmates what she was wearing because it smell so fresh and nice. She told her it was DKNY Be Delicious, so I went out and tested it at the perfume counter. Didn't smell so good on me. Perfume reacts different with everyone's unique body oil and chemistry.





No comments:

Post a Comment